2002 SAAB 9-5 white smoke

ALLENME
  • 2002 SAAB 9-5
2002 Saab 9-5 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 117K miles

Hello there,

I have been having a cloud of white smoke about 5 seconds each time I perform a sudden acceleration (turbo kicks in). Many opinions on this matter: Engine gone (mixture of oil and coolant), blown head gasket, warped engine head, loose engine head bolts. I believe that since 1-the smoke does not have a sweet smell (coolant sign) to it and 2- the smoke is not blue (oil sign). In addition, the oil was not very brown (little brown/black from metal wear) 3- the coolant level is not too low 4- car is not overheating, this is an indication that the engine is not gone.
I am suspecting the turbocharger unit, since the only time this happens is when sudden acceleration occurs.
Could anybody check my reasoning and make any corrections to straighten me out. I would also appreciate any help on finding a procedure on how to change the turbo unit for this specific model (Saab turbo, 95, 2.3l, wagon, 2002), or a picture of the turbo unit on the web. I checked the manual and it showed me this small unit with 3 clamps to it. Is it that simple to remove the clamps? Remove and replace the unit? Can I keep driving the car for now while keeping a close eye on it(overheating?). Your help is very much appreciated
Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 11:02 AM

MNTHNY4
U NEED A TURBO UNIT.
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 2:29 PM