2000 SAAB 9-5 knocking sound

• 2000 SAAB 9-5

2000 Saab 9-5 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 122000 miles

this car runs persfet but after a few minutes (10) I will hear a tapping sound or a lite nock if I race the moter a time or two it will stop then after a bit it will start back if I stop and raise the hood it is quiet and then I will start to hear it again I will reve it up to about 1500 rpm for a second and it will stop I don;t know a lot about this engine I have found out that it is basically a cadillac catera motor do you have any suspisions as to the probllem

Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 8:35 AM

HEY get it right that engine is a saab engine from the early 90's 900 model, that GM took & put in there catera's, anyways u sound like u may have a weak or leaking hydraulic lifter, on either bank 1 or bank 2 cylinder heads, this is always a hard one to pick out, it may be easy to locate which bank has the noise, but pin pointing which lifter is hard, u will need to change all lifters on that head, good luck.

Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 1:54 PM