2000 SAAB 9-5 KNOCKING, SHORT BLOCK

• shag1969
  • 2000 SAAB 9-5

2000 Saab 9-5 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 89000 miles

i found a screaming deal on a 2000 saab 9-5 aero with the 4cyl turbo.
great deal because the engine knocks. Dealership said all it needs is a short block.
how much would this repair run me, roughly?
how great are the chances that the mechanic would come across other problems after getting in to the engine? I don't want to bother if i'm going to have to replace the engine.

Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009 AT 12:50 PM

• merlin2021

A short block IS the lower part of the engine, minus the heads and manifolds. It will cost the same or more than an entire replacement. Figure 2000-3000 for parts. Labor? 10-15- hours at shop rates. I would keep looking for a car!

Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009 AT 5:14 PM
  • mnthny4
  • 616 posts

HEY what's up, sound like u r getting a great deal jump on, if it is a aero, nice car's I have 2 of them, anyways it may just need a single piston, pending if previous owner had it driving for a while with eng noise, block is steel can be rebuilt if crank is good, a set rings main & conrod bearing plus new thrust washers could do the trick, if sound like too much work, e-mail at mnthny4@ yahoo. Com, if u dont want it let me know, that is if u r in the USA.

Tuesday, September 29th, 2009 AT 2:56 PM