Front brake pad and rotor replacement instructions please?

AJCOLBY
  • 2014 FORD FOCUS
So I recently got a wheel bearing replaced on my car (listed above) now when braking I get a creaking/rusty spring sound coming from that side. I took it to the mechanic and they checked their work and the only thing they found was the pads were low.
Thursday, May 30th, 2019 AT 8:16 AM

KASEKENNY1
More then likely this is the front pads wear indicators or the rattle clips are making noise. Here is a guide that will help with this:

https://youtu.be/_iFN5xaJjJY

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

Below you will find the process from the manual on how to replace them. Let's run through this and go from there. Let us know if you have other questions. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Saturday, March 13th, 2021 AT 5:36 AM
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. This is a tutorial showing what is involved on how to change front brake pads and brake rotors:

I've attached picture steps below on how to change the front brake pads and rotors on your car. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 AT 2:34 PM (Merged)
RAEWALLACE
  • 2008 FORD FOCUS
I have bought my Ford Focus Wagon as a second hand vehicle about 8 months ago. Recently the car begun making noise when I brake I need to replace the brakes please.
Hi,

Front brake pads and rotors really aren't too hard to do. If you do it yourself, make sure to purchase lifetime parts so you'll never have to pay for the parts again.

You can expect brake pads to last approximately 25,000 miles. However, that can change based on terrain and driving habits.

To start, here is a link that shows in general how it's done. You can use this as a
guide:

https://youtu.be/_iFN5xaJjJY

and

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The pics below correlate with the directions.

Removal and Installation

WARNING: Do not use any fluid other than clean brake fluid meeting manufacturer's specification. Additionally, do not use brake fluid that has been previously drained. Following these instructions will help prevent system contamination, brake component damage and the risk of serious personal injury.

WARNING: Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-800-959-3673. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.

WARNING: Always install new brake shoes or pads at both ends of an axle to reduce the possibility of brakes pulling vehicle to one side. Failure to follow this instruction may result in uneven braking and serious personal injury.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

1. Check the brake fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
If required, remove the fluid until the brake master cylinder reservoir is half full.

2. Remove the wheel and tire.

3. CAUTION: Do not pry in the caliper sight hole to retract the pistons, as this can damage the pistons and boots.

CAUTION: Do not allow the brake caliper to hang from the brake caliper flexible hose or damage to the hose can occur.

Remove the 2 brake caliper guide pin bolts and position the caliper aside.
Support the caliper using mechanic's wire.
To install, tighten to 28 Nm (21 lb-ft).

4. CAUTION: Protect the caliper pistons and boots when pushing the caliper pistons into the caliper piston bores or damage to components may occur.

If installing new brake pads, using a C-clamp and a worn brake pad, compress the disc brake caliper pistons into the caliper.

5. NOTE: Wear indicator is on the inner pad leading edge.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Fill master cylinder reservoir with specified brake fluid.
Apply brakes several times to verify correct brake operation.

_____________________________

Rotor Replacement

2008 Ford Focus L4-2.0L
Disc Removal and Installation, Front
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Rotor/Disc Service and Repair Removal and Replacement Disc Removal and Installation, Front
DISC REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION, FRONT
Brake Disc

Removal and Installation
1. Remove the wheel and tire.
2. Remove the brake hose retaining clip and hose from the support bracket.

3. CAUTION: Do not allow the caliper to hang by the brake hose or damage to the hose can occur.

Remove the 2 brake caliper anchor plate bolts.
Discard the bolts.
Support the brake caliper and anchor plate assembly using mechanic's wire.
To install, tighten new bolts to 125 Nm (92 lb-ft).

4. Remove the brake disc.
5. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2007 FORD FOCUS
What is the most common problem when the vehicle has weak brake pads so I need to swap them out.
Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 AT 2:35 PM (Merged)
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by a weak brake pad. I can tell you there are different grades you can get. Ceramic pads seem to last the longest with the least amount of brake dust, but they are a bit hard on the rotors.

Regardless, here is a link that shows in general how pads and rotors are replaced:

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The attached pics correlate with the directions.

Removal and Installation

WARNING: Use of any other than approved DOT 3 brake fluid will cause permanent damage to brake components and will render the brakes inoperative. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

WARNING: Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-800-959-3673. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

2. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
3. Remove the brake hose from the support bracket.
4. Remove the brake pad retaining clip.
5. CAUTION: Do not pry in the caliper sight hole to retract the pistons, as this can damage the pistons and boots.

CAUTION: Do not allow the brake caliper to hang from the brake caliper flexible hose. Use a suitable tool to support the brake caliper.

To install, tighten to 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.).

6. CAUTION: Install new brake pads if they are worn past the specified thickness above the metal backing plates. Install new brake pads in complete axle sets.

Remove the 2 brake pads and inspect for wear or contamination.

7. CAUTION: If the caliper piston is retracted into the housing, brake fluid may be displaced from the master cylinder.

CAUTION: Protect the piston and boots when pushing the caliper piston into the caliper piston bores.

If installing new brake pads, using a suitable tool and a worn brake pad, compress the disc brake caliper pistons into the caliper.
8. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

HUCHINGSON
  • 2003 FORD FOCUS
Just bought a 2003 Focus. I noticed irregular wear on the rear rotors-wavey in appearance & pad doesn't make full contact across the entire rotor. Ruff braking. It just had a complete rear brake job 4 months ago ( Pep Boys premium brake job? ) The pads are over 50% gone. Is there a known problem with these brakes? I figured I could have the rotors turned or replaced ( Pep Boys may have done this already ) But I am concerned something else may be going on. Never seen a rotor wear like this. Not signs of circular wear like you'd get with metel to metal. A checkered or wavey across the rotor?
RICH CRITES
Make sure that your parking brake is not dragging. That will cause wear on rear pads. Jack up one side of car, with the parking brake off, see if you can turn the rear wheel by hand. Listen for the pads dragging on the rotor. The parking brake may not be adjusted properly. This will cause excessive wear on pads and rotors.
ONETRUEROLLLER845
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS
This is a general question in a disc/drum hydraulic setup or in a disc/disc hydraulic setup what activates first when the brake pedal is applied? The front brakes or the rear or do they actually activate almost the same time.
They activate at the same time. However, the front brakes are responsible for about 60% of the stopping power and the rear only 40%. The pressure is regulated through a proportioning valve.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Sponsored links