RPM fluctuates ;

WASAY SHEIKH
  • 2007 HONDA CITY
My car's RPM has started fluctuating ever since I got the throttle body serviced. The rpm rose beyond 1000, after the service.I noticed it and the next day I asked my mechanic to fix it, because earlier on it was perfectly stable and the car was giving good mileage too. He very reluctantly slowed it down by turning a screw with an allen key on the throttle body, where the throttle plate rests. With that, for the time being the RPM came down to normal but started fluctuating when the air-conditioner was turned on. When the radiator fan starts automatically, the RPM drops slightly as if the engine was about to stall, but then gains and comes back to normal. This is felt more when you are driving in town and in traffic where u have to stop at traffic lights etc. Hardly felt on a long drive or highway. A Honda pitstop mechanic, whom I went to lately, reset the entire thing, using a computer but my car is still not the same. Pls advise!
Tuesday, May 7th, 2013 AT 12:45 PM

ASEMASTER6371
The cleaners today take a coating off the throttle bodies and tend to cause this kind of issue. You are not to have them cleaned as per the manufacturer. Most likely the throttle body has to be replaced.

Tuesday, May 7th, 2013 AT 5:32 PM
WASAY SHEIKH
Thank u very much Roy.I will start looking for it cos I doubt if the spare part dealers keep brand new throttle bodies cos anyone hardly changes them. However I will check the market. Thanks again.
Wednesday, May 8th, 2013 AT 8:53 PM