2000 ROVER 45 HEAD GASKET FAILURE....OR NOT?

• paulkearton
  • 2000 Rover 45

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Rover 45 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 169000 miles

I have found a small amount of creamy residue on the oil filler cap and a small sign of the creamy substance when I look inside. I also have very dirty/rusty/slightly oily water in the coolant resevior. I do not have any over-heating problems, or bad smells, no smoke, and no loss of coolant or oil. Why would the resevior be so dirty and why is there a slight creamy residue on filler cap? I have been advised to use K-Seal in case the head gasket is on its way out.

Sunday, November 1st, 2009 AT 1:39 PM

• Dave H

A slight amount of cream on the oil filler cap can be caused by condensation. But the other symptoms your describing do indeed point to headgasket beginning to fail

Monday, November 2nd, 2009 AT 6:31 AM
  • paulkearton

Even if I have no smoke or smells, no overheating, no loss of water or oil, and my heater still works. Would flushing the coolant, and adding a product such as K-Seal to repair gasket work?

Monday, November 2nd, 2009 AT 6:38 AM
  • Dave H

Have a cylinder compression test carried out to check the headgasket for failure !! I have found that using a sealing agent very rarely works for long .. you could try flushing and adding ? ... I think ultimately the gasket will need replacing

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_197.png

Monday, November 2nd, 2009 AT 3:26 PM