1997 ROVER 4 SERIES ADDING A HAM RADIO CONNECTION TO THE WI

• davekh
  • 1997 Rover 4 Series

1997 Rover 4 Series 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 77112 miles

Hi I have ham radio equipment which takes about 20amps on peak and normal car 12volt supply - but I don't know where to get the supply for it inside the car - or if there is an easy way to route the wires that come with the radio throuigh the bulkhead. Any ideas?
Many people risk using the cigar-lighter but I think its not really rated for that.

Thanks DAve

Saturday, April 25th, 2009 AT 5:15 AM

• Dave H

The cigarette lighter is the easiest and safest (it has it's own fuse) option. What other higher amp wire are you considering wiring it to under the bonnet/hood?

Sunday, April 26th, 2009 AT 7:06 AM
  • davekh

I checked the wires going to the back of the cigar lighter - they might do the job, if the ideas I have below turn out to not work.

I have a radio which takes I believe about 21amps when its used to transmit (think CB but Not)

I'd really like to have a separate run from the radio direct through to the battery with separate fuse and kept away from the rest of the circuit to keep out noises from alternator. (I know I can filter this).

I've noticed that if I open the door I can see under the corner of the wing (they're bolt on) and then a route through to the underside of the bonnet then straight to the battery. I have found some armoured flexible tube to stop the wires getting chafed. This might give me the direct route to the battery.

Sunday, April 26th, 2009 AT 7:55 AM
  • Dave H

Your easiest option straight to battery is where the bonnet release cable goes through the firewall into engine compartment ... thread your wire through the rubber plug and route it to the battery .. again I advise fuseing it !!!!

hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_584.png

Sunday, April 26th, 2009 AT 8:11 AM
  • davekh

Thanks for the help - I'll investigate that route - I've bought an in-line fuse for the purpose.

Dave H

Sunday, April 26th, 2009 AT 8:23 AM
  • Dave H

It may even be easier to get to the rubber plug through the firewall for the accelerator cable !! just an afterthought ... !!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_586.png

Sunday, April 26th, 2009 AT 8:43 AM