Replacing the starter motor

NOFACE
  • 2000 MAZDA PROTEGE
This is a multiple part question. Is there a schematic for removal/installation for the starter? Is it worth it to buy a re-manufactured or a brand new starter? Is it easy to access the screws that hold the starter to the bellhousing?

I've already inspected the starter visually to see difficulty level of removing and installing a new one. Sometimes (mostly in colder weather) I go to start/rotate the motor, and it will click with no starting, which I try again and then it starts. Scenario #2 is go to turn the motor over and it will chug a little then start.
Monday, September 20th, 2021 AT 8:18 AM

KASEKENNY1
Sounds like the starter solenoid is failing. What happens is there is a bare spot in the windings and it doesn't allow the starter to turn. So when you bump it a couple times it moves it enough to find a good spot and it starts the vehicle.

Here is a guide that helps with this:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/starter-not-working-repair

If it were me, I would not have an issue going with a reman starter but no matter what, it sounds like that is the issue.

I attached the info below from the manual that will help with replacing the starter.

Please let me know if you have other questions on this one.

Wednesday, September 22nd, 2021 AT 8:50 AM
NOFACE
Thanks for the help and schematic. Based on the images, all the screws for mounting the Starter are torqued between 28-38 Ft Lbs?
Saturday, October 9th, 2021 AT 9:42 PM
KASEKENNY1
That is exactly correct. Let me know if you have other questions on this. Thanks
Sunday, October 10th, 2021 AT 9:20 AM

Sponsored links