Replaced car battery, now brake pedal is hard and smell coming from under steering wheel

NATHANIEL BRANDL
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
I recently had to replace my car battery. I drove it for the first time since then and now it is hard to press the brake pedal, but the lightest pressure engages the brakes. After a 15 minute drive, I could smell a possible burning smell under the steering wheel. I opened the hood and nothing smelled. Could the brakes be burning? How could I fix this? I've turned into a DIY guy in the attempt to learn more and about cars and save money.
Monday, July 15th, 2019 AT 8:00 AM

KEN
Good idea. When you replaced the battery it sounds like the brake booster hose got knocked off or broken. Can you check to let me know here is an image below? Never mind the gauge but this is the hose I am talking about. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find.
Tuesday, July 16th, 2019 AT 10:33 AM