RUSTED BRAKE LINES

1996 Honda Accord

importtuner

May, 27, 2014 AT 10:07 PM

Hi guys I have a 1996 Honda accord value package sedan with a 2.2L L4 SOHC, and the brake lines are rusted out, now the lines I'm talking about are the ones that run front to back underneath the car and my main problem is I need to know what size the brake lines are so I can get some new lines from the auto parts store. The lines are rusted bad enough that when I was pulling the plastic cover off the that the lines are behind that part of the driver side brake line actually broke off in the process, I would appreciate it if someone can tell me the size of the brake lines.

Wrenchtech

May, 28, 2014 AT 2:43 AM

Brake lines are 3/16" diameter but you can't buy a complete brake line. They have to be made and connections can only be made using double flares. It is illegal to use compression unions on brake lines. This is probably not something that you want to attempt yourself.

importtuner

May, 28, 2014 AT 3:40 AM

Well can I just use the brake line and fittings from the auto store to be able to get the car to the dealership were I take most of my cars for service. The dealership is like 12 blocks away and I don't want to pay tow fee.

Wrenchtech

May, 28, 2014 AT 3:44 AM

Why not? Towing the car is the safest option to your problem. Mickey Mouse-ing the brakes to get there is not a good idea. I might suggest signing up for AAA.

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
ABS Computer Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape