Removing fuel is there an antisiphon device?

MRFAHRENHEIT
  • 2003 MITSUBISHI CARISMA

My other half's Carisma, parked outside our house, has been written off by a silly girl hurrying to work.

It has almost a full tank of diesel, and we're wondering if we can get it out before the insurance co takes it away.

Our local motor shop can supply a suitable pump for £10, so we're good to go. Unless the Carisma has an anti-siphon device. I understand this is usually a cone of wire mesh in the inlet pipe.

Does anyone know if diesel Carismas have such a thing?

Thanks in anticipation.

Saturday, October 12th, 2013 AT 1:46 AM

Not familiar with these as they are not in u.S. But most newer cars have an anti rollover flapper in tank so fuel doesn't leak out in a rollover. You may be able to get a hose there to pump the tank out. If you can reach the vent try removing that hose and putting the hose there.

Saturday, October 12th, 2013 AT 5:52 AM

IF YOU CAN GET TO IT EASILY

REMOVE THE FILL HOSE FROM THE FUEL TANK INLET. SEE IF YOU CAN GAIN ACCESS AT THAT LOCATION, YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET A "TRANSFER PUMP" (HAND OPERATED) FROM A AUTO PARTS STORE

Saturday, October 12th, 2013 AT 8:29 PM