Recently replaced the spark plugs and now there is a knocking noise from the engine.

LILEEBUD
  • 2010 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
It recently flooded here in Houston. We drove the van through a little over a foot of water and it stalled. The tailpipe was not submerged. We pushed it the rest of the way to our driveway. We drained the water and the oil. No cross contamination. We also replaced the spark plugs with what O'Reily's looked up and said was appropriate plugs. The 1-3-5 plugs were mistakingly crossed. The car was started and revved, but never placed in gear or driven with them crossed. Since they were placed correctly, there is a knocking sound when placed in gear and when driven forward and back. We have only done this in the driveway, not actually driven it. We poured one can of Seafoam in the engine and one can of Seafoam in the fuel tank. There was no change in the knocking and still not actually driven, just a little back and forward in the drive. What is most likely the problem and may it be driven?
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 12:07 AM

WRENCHTECH
The tailpipe getting wet isn't your concern. It's the air filter that matters. If the intake drew water in with the engine running it could do serious damage to pistons and connecting rods. Check your air filter and see if it got wet.
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 2:13 AM
LILEEBUD
Yes! Oh, no! The air filter IS wet! What does that mean that is probably wrong with it?
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 11:58 AM
WRENCHTECH
It needs to be investigated further but You likely bent a connecting rod or two.

Water cannot be compressed so if it is drawn into the cylinder while the engine is spinning, something has to give and it's always the connecting rod. I've seen a couple that came right through the side of the block.
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 3:09 PM
LILEEBUD
It only knocks when it is in drive or reverse. The water was only about a foot and a half amd the air intake is at thw very top of my engine. The way it is situated, I don't see how it would have gotten into that compartment. :(

Does that mean that I cannot drive it AT ALL? I only work about 2 miles from home. What about driving it to a mechanic?
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 3:17 PM
WRENCHTECH
I can't tell you what is wrong with your car without seeing it. All I can do is tell you what the risks are. If your air filter is soaked, then there is no question it suck water in, just a question of how much.
I suggest you have the car diagnosed properly before driving it any more.
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 3:32 PM
LILEEBUD
It wasn't soaked. Just a bit wet. But thank you very much for your advice!
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 3:37 PM