Rattling noise under hood

LYZZOVER
  • 2007 TOYOTA CAMRY
There is a rattling noise when my engine is running and sometimes it takes a minute for my car to start. There is a kind of hesitation. Could this be a problem with the alternator or could it be something else?
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2017 AT 10:40 AM

What do you mean by "it takes a minute to start"? Are you cranking the engine that long before it starts to run? Do you have to wait for a minute for the dash lights and other power to turn on?
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
LYZZOVER
When I crank it, the engine won't start for about 20 seconds. I can hear it trying to rev, but it doesn't. The lights and radio all work fine and start when I turn the key, but it's just the engine. I just replaced my battery a few months ago and I don't believe it is an issue with that. Once it is running, it seems to work fine. There is just that rattling noise.
Friday, February 24th, 2017 AT 8:30 AM
You're listing two different symptoms that do not appear to be related, at least at this time. For the long crank time, a real good suspect is fuel pressure is bleeding off when the engine is off. That pressure should hold for days or weeks. You may be able to get a clue if you turn the ignition switch to "run", wait a couple of seconds, turn it off, then turn it to "crank". Each time you turn the switch on, the fuel pump will run for about one second. It won't continue running until you start cranking the engine, and then, since the battery's voltage is drawn down by the starter, the fuel pump can run too slowly to build the fuel pressure needed for the engine to run.
Friday, February 24th, 2017 AT 7:28 PM