Quarter Glass Power Window Will Not Raise On Convertible

MANUELPTK210
  • 2008 FORD MUSTANG
  • RWD
My rear driver-side quarter window had been making a grinding noise, sort of like a twig breaking apart, for months. I figured that a twig somehow made its way behind the rubber body seal near that window and ignored it. Well, two days ago I put the top down on the vehicle, along with the windows, and they all came back up except for the one that was making the noise. When I try to engage the power window option, all I get is that grinding noise but no movement whatsoever.

I'd like to avoid a repair at this time, if possible. Is there a way that I can manually lift the window to seal it? I tried pulling the window up already, but it seems to be secured in the down position. If this is better left to a mechanic, what should I expect in terms of cost for the repair?
Wednesday, October 29th, 2014 AT 8:18 AM

It sounds like one of the gears has stripped. You need access the motor, loosen it enough so the gears no longer touch. Then you could move the glass.

I have to be honest, I would recommend having it done by a shop. I wouldn't expect it to be more than 75.00, but I'm not sure where you live.
Wednesday, October 29th, 2014 AT 8:36 AM
MANUELPTK210
Thank you for your reply. I will call around to price the work.
Wednesday, October 29th, 2014 AT 8:42 AM

Sponsored links