Power steering fluid flush instructions

STEENKBUG
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
I recently replaced a power steering pump in the car listed above due to it 'groaning' and being incredibly hard to steer. Post job, I bled (or at least thought I bled) the system of air and steering functionality came back. Even with the new power steering pump in place, it still groans loudly. When looking into the reservoir with the car running it looks as if all of the fluid is sucked into the system when turning in one direction. The reservoir refills to its normal fluid level when straightening out or turning in the other direction. Is this normal?
Wednesday, February 13th, 2019 AT 8:42 AM

KEN
This video shows the job being done on a similar car but the process is the same.. This video will walk you through the steps of the power steering system flush.

https://youtu.be/n665wQQq8tI

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+1
Thursday, February 21st, 2019 AT 10:55 AM
CATCD5
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
I need help with my 2002 Ford Taurus. It makes a grinding noise when ever I turn my car sharply and kind of makes a knocking noise too when I am backing up or stepping on the brakes. Sometimes the steering feels so bad that it makes the car shake and if I turn even the SLIGHTEST it shakes and makes the grinding noise.
Monday, June 7th, 2021 AT 5:49 PM (Merged)
Time for an inspection at a tire and alignment shop. Noises are nothing to ignore on Fords. They are well-known for ball joints and tie rod ends that separate leading to a crash. There could also be a power steering leak causing air to get drawn into the pump. That will cause a buzzing noise which can be rather loud and it will be worse when turning.

This guide can help though

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/power-steering-fluid-flush
THIRDEYE1310
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
My car has made a whining noise since I bought it about six months ago. Since then I have replaced the power steering pump and reservoir and it still makes the same noise. I know it is in the steering because it does not steer as easy as it should and the noise gets louder when I turn the wheel. What could it be and how do I fix it? Thanks
This is a very common problem. Based on what you have said, the fluid needs to be flushed out. Here is a guide to help you fix it;

Please run down this guide and report back.

Cheers
+1
BUICK BOI
Thank you. Worked perfect for my car!
RUNNING_GUY08
  • FORD TAURUS
Hello, I have a 1998 Taurus SE with 116,000 miles. The power steering fluid is very dark colored and smells burned. I would like to flush and refill the unit but I cannot find anywhere that says how to do it. I have the proper fluid to use and need to do it myself as I cannot afford the $70-$100 mechanics want because I am a student scraping money for school. Any idea where to find directions with pictures? Or just any sort of explanation would work for me at this point. Thanks for any help!
SERVICE WRITER
The easiest way for you to do this is to buy a tool that sucks out fluid. Advance auto or any auto parts store will carry one. OR use a turkey baster. Suck out the fluid in the reservior and refill with clean dextron III trans fluid. Run it to circlulate and repeat several times. Do this procedure again after a week, and see how it looks then.

IF your daring, you can pull the return line and put it into a container, run the engine while dumping fresh trans fluid in the reservior. This takes 2 people, one to start and stop the motor and the other to pour. Don't let it suck air, or you'll create problems.

Sponsored links