Power steering line

JUN841NC
  • 2004 MERCEDES BENZ C230
Replaced power steering on my car. While removing pump I managed to strip the bolt/nut that screws the hose into pump. Any idea how to fix it without having to replace the entire power steering hose line? Please help
Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 AT 9:19 AM

Welcome to 2CarPros.

Take a look at the picture I attached. Is that the bolt you are referring to? If so, the bolt can be purchased. It's called a banjo fitting and the bolt should be available.

Let me know if this helps.

Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 AT 7:54 PM
JUN841NC
Thanks for the speedy response. Unfortunately, it does not, but looks something similar to it. Will try to upload an image.
Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 AT 11:42 PM
Welcome back:

Thanks for the picture. That helps. If the threads are stripped on that fitting, you have two choices, one I don't like, and the other the right way.

The right way is to replace the line. If you don't want to do that, purchase a new fitting, cut the steel line in two about 4" from the fitting, remove the old fitting, slide on the new fitting, and use a compression fitting to rejoin the steel line. Most parts stores will have all of the things you need. The fitting is a standard type fitting, so that shouldn't be an issue. The pipe is the tough one. They also make very high pressure hose that would be okay, but then there is the chance of it coming apart. If you do use the rubber hose, make sure to use fuel injector line clamps. They work the best and have the best chance of holding things together.

Let me know if I can help.

Thursday, May 16th, 2019 AT 6:08 PM
JUN841NC
Thanks for the help I took off the line sent it to a pneumatic and hydraulic specialist and they were able to put on a new fitting. I got a new question though. I initially had to replace the tension pulley as it broke off the bolt it was attached to, so my question is do I have to set the camshaft/crank or can I just put on the serpentine belt and start the engine?
Thursday, May 16th, 2019 AT 11:56 PM
Welcome back:

You can just replace the tensioner and belt and you'll be fine. The serpentine belt has no affect on timing.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Friday, May 17th, 2019 AT 8:07 PM
JUN841NC
Thanks for the help. I assembled everything took it for test drive all seems fine but have another issue, sounds like it has trouble with the air intake, sounds deep like I removed the air filter or something. Any clue what it could be?
Tuesday, May 21st, 2019 AT 2:35 AM

Related Steering Hose Replace/Remove Content

How to Replace Power Steering Pump Hose
VIDEO