Power steering leak

JVELIQUETTE2011
  • 2007 PONTIAC G6
I recently replaced the rack and pinion on my car listed above GT model. The unit itself works great, but I can't get the hoses to connect properly. I have tried multiple gaskets to go onto the hose and then slide into the rack and pinion, but no matter what, it leaks. It leaks a lot. Any thoughts?
Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 AT 10:18 AM

Welcome to 2CarPros.

Is this a new rack or re-manufactured? Also, are you replacing the o-rings and lubricating them prior to install? The smallest nick in the o-ring will leak.

Do me a favor, take a look at the attached picture and tell me where the leak is coming from.

I will watch for your reply,

Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 AT 7:11 PM
JVELIQUETTE2011
Thanks for your answer. It is a re-manufactured part. It s leaking from 12 and 15.
Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 AT 10:15 PM
Welcome back:

If you are replacing the o-ring and the threads are going on smoothly (not cross threading), the actual rack may have damage at the connections. I hate to say this, but disconnect it where it leaks. Take a flashlight and a mirror and inspect where the pipe goes on to the rack. Remember, a re-manufactured component was in another vehicle. This may be why it was replaced and the re-manufacturer could have missed something.

If you find no burrs or damage, try it one more time using new o-rings and make sure to lubricate everything with power steering fluid so the o-ring doesn't drag when tightening or catch and get nicked when installing it.

Let me know what you find.

Thursday, April 25th, 2019 AT 2:12 PM