1997 PONTIAC TRANS AM

• KENNYBONEZ
  • 1997 Pontiac Trans Am

1997 Pontiac Trans Am V8 179, 00 miles

I just had main bearings and rod bearing replaced in a 1997 trans am. Now the vehicle will not crank, battery is good and has been changed. The mechanic said that he believed that replacing the bearings made the "engine tighter" and that the old starter is probably not turning it now, states that he believed a new starter will fix it but I'm afraid to pay $150 not knowing some information about this. Do you believe that the starter could do that or any suggestions? He said that the starter is engaging, just doesnt believe its good enough to crank it. Please help!

Monday, May 31st, 2010 AT 9:24 AM

• blackop555

Id make sure he didnt put in the wrong bearings or tighten them too much. If he did the oil clearence will be wrong. Youll get poor lube and burn up the engine. Definetely would have him double check the oil clearences on ALL bearings. Unless vehicle turns easily by hand with all spark plugs out and breakerbar on crankshaft pulley

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 AT 11:43 AM