99 GT, 2.4 L (A.B.S BRAKES AT THE REAR)

1999 Pontiac Sunfire

Stillborne

March, 16, 2007 AT 3:15 AM

I was in the shop the other day and noticed that my cylinders on the rear brakes puked and the pads were all shot. I changed EVERYTHING! Even the drums.
I followed the exact diagrams, instructions, pictures, advice and all that. One thing I have noticed is that When I put the drums back on the drums drag a little on the pads. They are centered as much as possible and the star key is turned down all the way. It can't go any further and I still get drag. Not much. Just a bit. Does this go away after a few spins around the block or is it screwed somehow? I checked and rechecked. All new parts (everything) are all premium and everything is put together right and works fine. Just not a lot of play between the pads and the drums. I used a mechanics advice to C clamp the pistons on the cylinders in a bit so that the drum would go over top but I can only go so far. I am having some brake fluid issues ( ABS system not bleeding to the rear) back there and it is going to the shop in a bit to have this looked at. Would this cause that problem? My gut says no. Any advice can be very helpful.
PS: My hands hurt and I never, ever want to do that again, lol Thanks.

peppermrj

March, 16, 2007 AT 10:55 AM

A little drag is normal. Bleeding abs requires the proper scan tool to actuate the system.

Good luck and let us know. : )

Stillborne

March, 16, 2007 AT 5:14 PM

It goes in next week. I will keep you all updated.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly