, OIL CHANGE?

2002 Pontiac Sunfire

maram303

May, 18, 2008 AT 3:28 PM

Engine Cooling problem
2002 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

hello,
i've searched far and long trying to figure this out, my fiancee has an 02 sunfire with the oil filter cartridge on top of the engine. embarrassingly it took me forever to find the dang thing but now i find when i try to ratchet the sucker open i can't get a good facing on the "nut". it seems the socket i've got is about an inch too tall and is rubbing on whatever it is over it. i removed the air intake for a little more clearance but that's not what's blocking it. i'll admit it i'm not a mechanical genius but i'm decent at finding stuff and for the life of me i can't figure out what this item over the oil filter is or how to remove it to get it out of the way.
any assistance you can give is greatly appreciated.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/191682_P5180280_1.jpg

johnvosh86

August, 11, 2008 AT 7:21 PM

What you need to get yourself is a 32MM short socket. You can get one from either a MAC dealer or Snap-On dealer. An automotive store such as NAPA or Lordco or similar should have one as well. It needs to be less than 1.5 inches tall. Hope this helps.

olybowl300

May, 5, 2009 AT 12:44 PM

I just used a 32mm socket, 1 5/8 in. Tall with a 8inch wobble extension. Worked very well! Plenty of room.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500