1998 Pontiac Sunfire Horn Relay/Wiper Switch

BILLY RAINWATER
  • 1998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
1998 Pontiac Sunfire 252555 miles

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could tell me how to disconnect my horn relay and possibly give me some explanation as to why my horn is honking every time I perform certain actions.

The current situation is this: I have the steering column unscrewed (3 screws held in the bottom, and the top just popped off) and I have just replaced the wiper switch. The wipers now work just fine; however, on the left hand side, the signal switch is touchy. In particular, when I signal left, it not only signals left, it sounds off the horn. If I switch the hazards on, off it goes again. Just pushing or pulling on the steering wheel makes it go off. I know I am triggering it, but I can't see exactly what it is that I'm leaning on.

The very first thing I'd like to do is disconnect the horn or the relay for the horn, just to get it to stop making noise so I can screw the switch back in. I have to line up one screw hole in the top but every time I move the signal switch to do so, the horn blasts.

Hope someone can help.

Best,

Billy
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 1:30 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
The relay for your horn will either be somewhere in the engine compartment or in the relay box on the right side of the engine compartment. This should only be used as a temporary fix though, as this could be potentially dangerous not having a horn. Try looking for any loose or faulty wires while you have the steering column apart. It sounds like you are making a wire move (moving steering wheel, moving turn signal arm, etc.). If you can't find the relay for your horn, you can also disconnect the plug-in directly from the horn. There should be 2 horns in the front bottom of your vehicle (one on driver side and one on passenger).
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 1:51 AM
BILLY RAINWATER
Thanks for your reply. I will check it out, but is there a fuse I can pull to deactivate the horn? I read somewhere that it is the same fuse as the cigarette lighter in '95 Sunfires. If there is a fuse that would be easiest.

Best,

Billy
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 2:51 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Fuses are located inside of car. Read your owner's manual or call local dealer to find out which one is the horn. (Or pull one at a time until you find it)
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 12:30 PM