1998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE BLOWER PROBLEMS

• narcsisuss
  • 1998 Pontiac Sunfire

Heater problem
1998 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

The blower is no longer forcing air through the vents. I checked the fuse in the drivers door panel (htr/blr?) And replaced the relay under the hood. I used a voltage tester to see if the blower was getting juice, and it wasen't; then checked if the leads going to the resistor where getting anything by setting the fan dial to different speed and putting the voltage prongs to ground and each wire individually, with no luck.
Does this mean the switch is bad (in the control panel in the dash)?
The a/c hasn't worked in a year, but tthe heateer hhas bbeen finne

Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 10:26 PM

• rasmataz

Hi there narcsisuss and TY for the donation this is what keeps the site going.

Okay-find the blower motor relay remove the relay there's gonna be 4 wires on the relay socket -brown, orange, black and purple if this is correct I want you to jumper the brown to the orange wire this will power the blower motor resistor bypassing the blower motor relay and blower motor should come on at every setting of the blower switch.

Note: before doing the above make sure the blower motor fuse 30amp in the engine compartment fuse/relay center is good. Let me know we still got a long way to go if this don't work. Its gonna come down between the blower switch and the mode switch

Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 1:58 AM
  • narcsisuss

Ok, when I jumpered the relay the blower kicked on. Sweet. I just replaced the relay, so does it mean I got a bad one or is there another cause?

Friday, October 16th, 2009 AT 10:08 AM
  • rasmataz

Remove the blower motor relay and check for power on the brown wire while mode switch is at heater-do you have it

-1
Friday, October 16th, 2009 AT 3:09 PM
  • narcsisuss

I removed the relay under the hood, couldn't tell which wires where brown; so just checked them all for voltage. When I'm standing on the driver side of the engine compartment the relay looks something like this:

|x---|-|----x
|
|XX

When I ground the black prong to the chassis, and stick the voltage meter on the lower left terminal the meter goes off the chart. All the other terminals don't show any voltage.

Monday, October 19th, 2009 AT 9:00 PM
  • rasmataz

Sir-you need to identify the wiring colors under the blower motor relay socket you probably have to remove the taping and insulation to identify the wires

Monday, October 19th, 2009 AT 9:04 PM
  • narcsisuss

Ok, took the relay block (?) Off in the engine compartment. With heater on full; only found power on the ORANGE wire, the BROWN wire had no current.

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 2:54 PM
  • rasmataz

You should also have power on the brown wire not only on the orange while mode switch is on heat-Check the HVAC fuse 10amp if okay either you have a bad mode switch or the brown wire from the switch is open to the blower motor relay

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 3:49 PM