ENGINE DIES CONSTANTLY

Pontiac Sunbird

bill153

December, 30, 2006 AT 4:15 PM

1992 Pontiac Sunbird; mileage 211,000. My car constantly dies when I come to a complete stop after it warms up. When it dies, I have to put the car in park, then neutral, turn the engine over, press in the gas, then put it in drive. I've changed the oil, plugs, and fuel filter but nothing makes a difference. Does this sound like a fuel pump problem or the fuel injector? I need to know because if its not the fuel injector then I dont want to blow my money on one.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Service Writer

January, 1, 2007 AT 8:13 AM

The problem may be neither. We need to narrow down if it is losing fuel, losing spark or both.

Clarify better what is happening in this statement: ?
" When it dies, I have to put the car in park, then neutral, turn the engine over, press in the gas, then put it in drive.&Quot; If you wait for a minute as opposed to doing this ritual, what happens.

bill153

After the car dies, I have to put it in park to start it back up. It starts up fine but if I dont give it some gas before putting it in gear then it dies again.