CAR WONT START.

1994 Pontiac Sunbird

Brodman10

May, 16, 2009 AT 1:10 PM

1994 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

I have a 1994 Pontiac Sunbird. Battery and Altenator both tested good. When you turn the key nothing happens. No click, or any sign of the car trying to turn over, but the lights, radio, and everything else work just fine. No dimming of lights or anything. I got it started once by wiggling the shifter while in neutral. It lasted for about three days starting, but now I cant seem to get that trick to work again. Not sure if its the starter, but if it was the starter, wouldnt it at least click or try to turn over? So, maybe ignition, or transmission switch? Anything intel you guys have would help, and be greatly appreciated, because I am completely lost with this issue. Thank you!

May, 16, 2009 AT 1:21 PM

Hello, my first thought is the neutral switch, Have you tried cranking in neutral?

I believe the neutral switch is on top of the transaxle.

Brodman10

May, 16, 2009 AT 1:27 PM

Thank you, where is the transaxle?

May, 16, 2009 AT 2:26 PM

Under the hood, mounted to the right hand side of engine.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_neutral_switch_3.jpg

While looking under the hood, get somebody to work the shifter, maybe you can see the shift cable move.

Brodman10

May, 16, 2009 AT 3:04 PM

Is this a diagram for a 94 sunbird engine? Last question. Promise. Lol. Thanks again

May, 16, 2009 AT 3:34 PM

Hello, different databases show different picture for the same thing. Maybe this one is better.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_transaxle_2.jpg

Looking under the hood, the transaxle should be mounted to the right hand side of engine. The info was for a 94 2.0 litre engine.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe