LOUD AND DELAYED

1993 Pontiac Sunbird

joshconnors602

April, 10, 2010 AT 5:34 PM

1993 Pontiac Sunbird 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 78000 miles

I bought my car about 4 months ago with 76,000 miles on it and up until recently it has driven beautifully. Now when the car is first started it will rev up to almost 2500 RPMs. It will eventually settle back down after a couple of minutes and then its business as usual - until I get to the end of my driveway. When I come to a stop and try to accelerate, the car will rev up again and then jerk forward into motion. If I ease my foot down on the accelerator, there's no problem. But the delivery isn't the same. Also, if I come to a quick stop, the RPMs jump down to around 400 and when I try to accelerate it is about 10x worse. Haven't taken it anywhere yet. Wondering if this is something I could fix myself?

Jacobandnickolas

April, 26, 2010 AT 1:45 PM

Has the check engine light come on? It sounds like a bad throttle position sensor for the idle problem. As far as the jumping into gear from a start, have you checked the trans fluid?

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars