TENSIONER PULLEY REMOVAL

1992 Pontiac Sunbird

Trekinous

July, 13, 2008 AT 7:03 PM

1992 Pontiac Sunbird 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 215000 miles

I have a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird SE, 3.1L Multiport V6. Automatic. Recently the car ran poorly and began misfiring (Like it was firing on 5 cylinders.) Then today the serpentine belt came off the car. I then discovered my spring loaded automatic tensioner pulley had ceased. Is there a special way to remove the pulley? Or can I simply unbolt it. Also could this be why the car has been running poorly?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Cody.

obxautomedic

July, 13, 2008 AT 7:13 PM

To remove just take the center bolt out.

Think you have 2 seperate problems.

If feels like it is missing you may just need a tune up. When was the last tune up?

Is your engine light on? If so pull codes and post here.

Trekinous

July, 13, 2008 AT 7:21 PM

Thanks for the help.

The check engine light does not come on. Just the check gauges light will flash every so often. And all the gauges read normal (except for when the belt failed.). The Engine light has not come on once.

Also the last tune up (New plugs, wires, distributor cap, air filter) was bout 12 000kms ago. The oil and oil filter was done about 100km ago along with the serpentine belt.

obxautomedic

July, 13, 2008 AT 7:34 PM

Just to add on the pulley info, depending you may not be able to get the pulley off. I seen it once so far were it pretty much welded itself to the tensioner itself so you may have to replave the Tensioner Assembly.

Then you may have a problem in the fuel system. Check fuel pressure Check out the Car Repair Video Series in the upper left column. Testing fuel pressure and regulator.

Trekinous

July, 13, 2008 AT 7:56 PM

Is there a special procedure for taking off the tensioner assembly because it's spring loaded?

obxautomedic

July, 13, 2008 AT 8:09 PM

No, the only spring action is in the tensioner itself not the mounting. Just pay attension to the positioning of the tensioner. There should be a pin or raised area that needs to be positioned for it to mount flush with block.

Trekinous

July, 16, 2008 AT 6:12 PM

So I was able to change the tensioner pulley assembly without any problem. However the car still runs very poorly. It still misfires/fires on 5. I am in the process of getting a fuel pressure test gauge. However all my passengers say that the car smells like its leaking fuel. Although there is no puddles under the car (While running and off) and no wet spots along the lines. Could the smell be raw fuel getting in the exhaust? If so what could cause that?

obxautomedic

July, 16, 2008 AT 7:00 PM

Ok, if it is still misfiring on the #5 Cylinder then the raw fuel can be getting into the exhaust. If that cylinder is not firing then the fuel has to go somewere and out the exhaust and sometimes into the oil. So check your oil for gas.

Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010