SPUTTERING AND ACCELLERATION

1992 Pontiac Sunbird

ashjow

1992 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 207000 miles

my car does this sputtering thing when you put your foot on the gas and you can put it to the floor and still won't go over 20mph. We have changed the coil pack, fuel filter, and spark plugs and wires, what could this possibly be.

mastertechtim

Is the vehicle running on all cylinders at idle. If yes you could have a restricted cat converter. The easiest way to check is to remove the o2 sensor and see if problem goes away.

ashjow

Do you know where the o2 sensor is located on this car. We disconnected the exhaust from the manifold and it still did it then we disconnected what may have been the o2 sensor but not sure where the o2 sensor is located, and then it idled perfect but again when would put on the gas it would sputter

mastertechtim

Ok problem is not restricted exhaust. Have you tried spraying starting fluid into intake when it bogs to see if it clears up.

ashjow

No we have not? Why what else do you think it could be?

mastertechtim

Low fuel pressure?

ashjow

Is there a camshaft sensor for this car? When I look for the parts online there is a crank shaft sensor but only for a 3.1L v6.

mastertechtim

No cam sensor