OIL LEAK AND SMELLS

1992 Pontiac Sunbird

SHELLIECARDINELL

April, 28, 2008 AT 5:19 PM

Smells problem
1992 Pontiac Sunbird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 179, 00 miles

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
THANK YOU!

Oil Leak From Engine

mastertechtim

April, 28, 2008 AT 5:21 PM

The most common oil leak in this engine is from the oil pump drive o ring. Its located under the throttle body at the top of engine block.

valcaldera

September, 14, 2008 AT 1:00 PM

ALSO, MY CAR ISN'T GETTING AS MANY MILES TO THE TANK AS IT USED TO. WHAT CAN I DO TO IMPROVE THAT?

Have you run some Injector Cleaner/fuel additive(s)? ANY Engine sitting for that length of time will have Fuel gumming issues.
Even though the Rear Engine Seal may appear to be good, it can wither or shrink from the vehicle sitting for the length of time you stated thereby allowing Oil to pass.
I SUPPOSE THE OIL SMELL I SMELL IS THE OIL BURNING OFF OF THE ENGINE.
Then as stated by mastertechtim you have an upper engine oil leak as you will constantly have an " oil burning off the engine" problem.

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front