COMPRESSION PROBLEMS

1987 Pontiac Sunbird

dansidans

April, 12, 2010 AT 10:45 PM

1987 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

my car has slowly been leaking oil from the bottom passenger side of the engine after running (while idling almost no oil leaks) and had a slight tick(thought it was a stuck lifter but hadnt checked it out I have had this car only 10 days). After a hour long trip directly into 55+MPH winds the car stalled out when the speed reduced. It would not start so I had it towed home. I checked and have spark and fuel so I performed a dry compression test and got readings of 70-60-60-40. The top half of my engine is virtually spotless, with no oil or other fluids. Now my question is this:
Is this most likely my head gasket?
Or is it the piston rings?
and should I not waste my time?

Jacobandnickolas

April, 26, 2010 AT 1:44 PM

That is really low. If it was a head gasket, most likely it would be only one or two cylenders, not all. Have you tried a wet compression test? If not, try it to see if the compression goes up. If it does, you need a valve job.

Let me know what you find.

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Replacing Head Gasket