GP-GTP STALLING.

1997 Pontiac

michda

March, 20, 2006 AT 7:38 AM

Car ran fine. Parked it, 4 hrs later started it. It stalled. Now it will run for 10 seconds and quits. If I pump the accelerator rapidly it will run. Puts out a lot of smoke, like too much gas.

Any suggestions?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

michda

March, 28, 2006 AT 4:57 AM

[quote=" michda" ]Car ran fine. Parked it, 4 hrs later started it. It stalled. Now it will run for 10 seconds and quits. If I pump the accelerator rapidly it will run. Puts out a lot of smoke, like too much gas.

Any suggestions?[/Quote]

michda

March, 31, 2006 AT 7:39 AM

[quote=" michda" ][quote=" michda" ]Car ran fine. Parked it, 4 hrs later started it. It stalled. Now it will run for 10 seconds and quits. If I pump the accelerator rapidly it will run. Puts out a lot of smoke, like too much gas.

Any suggestions?[/Quote][/quote]

Tailfin

March, 31, 2006 AT 8:06 AM

When you say " ran fine" do you mean it ran like a top, or it got you where you're going? Did it ever surge or accelerate irregularly?

Sounds like a fuel pump or a MAF sensor. Or maybe a fuel filter if it's BADLY clogged, but chances are you would have noticed driveability symptoms and not such a sudden issue if that were it. In any case, it's probably something to do with fuel delivery if you can sputter it up with the accelerator. Could also be as simple as a little water in your gas line. Put about 10 oz of isopropyl alcohol in it to eliminate that possibility. Also check and see if your throttle body is dirty.