MISFIRING AND LOW RPM SPEED

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

dragonink88

July, 29, 2014 AT 12:03 PM

Ok, so I bought my 2000 Grand Am used and it had been in a front end collision (I was told). That car has been a SOLDIER! I didn't think it would last as long as it has. It's now around 210k miles.
But the problem now is when I started the car a few weeks ago, it was immediately idling rough and misfiring, but kind of in a mild fashion. Plus the TRAC light came the dash panel, which is weird because I have a button I can hit on the dash to control ON/OFF. I tried to drive my son to the bus stop about 4 miles up the street and I had to turn around after 1.5 miles. It had no power and by the time I got to my driveway it was barely able to accelerate at all.
I parked it and after a week went back to try to move it, same misfire but I was able to drive it the rest of the way up my steep driveway about 2/10th of a mile. The trac light was still on also. Could it be the transmission? It seems the car was slowly having trouble with shifting the last few months and it wasn't accelerating properly anymore.

Engine Miss

hmac300

July, 29, 2014 AT 12:34 PM

With this you have to scan it and check fuel pressure with a gauge first to see ifit's a misfire or exactly what is wrong with it. Misfires are hard to diagnose even for amechanic as so much stuff can be wrong to cause it. So get it checked out first.