2005 PONTIAC GTO HOW MUCH DOES CYLINDER HEAD GASKET REPLACE

• YeomanDroid
  • 2005 Pontiac GTO

2005 Pontiac GTO V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 45000 miles

My cylinder head gasket blew on my 2005 Pontiac GTO and I am being charged about $3000.00 for the repair because GM simply makes terrible cars. I feel that I am being ripped off but seeing as how much work that is involved, I'm not sure. I live in the Los Angeles, CA area so I don't expect labor to be cheap. But still, 3K is a lot of money for me.

Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 4:18 PM

• bluelightnin6

If you are having both cylinder head gaskets replaced that should only take approx 11 labor hours. Even at a rate of $100 an hour (which most is around 80) that would only be 1,100 in labor fees and another 100 or so for the new gasket set. I would not see it costing 3k for a head gasket repair. I would suggest having another shop give you a quote.

Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 9:17 PM
  • YeomanDroid

They replaced the spark plugs, the valves, thermostat and fluids (oil and coolant) in addition to the transcooler hoses. I would assume this is part of the expense too.

Wednesday, October 27th, 2010 AT 1:04 AM
  • YeomanDroid

Correction, I just learned the valves were machined not replaced as this is not very common to be damaged. I am being given a refund of $371.00 for being charged over heater hose that was damaged during the head removal (why I got charged for it is beyond me). So I assume the price for 8 exhaust valves are around $211.00 for an LS2 V8 engine.

Wednesday, October 27th, 2010 AT 5:44 PM
  • bluelightnin6

With all of those additional repairs and parts and with the partial refund I'm going to have to take back my initial statement and see this was indeed a fair cost then.

Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 4:12 PM