IDLE.

2004 Pontiac GTO

riff_11b

March, 18, 2010 AT 12:15 AM

2004 Pontiac GTO V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 62000 miles

I just bought this 04 GTO, there has been alot of work done under the hood also a couple of switches, switch 1 - locks up front brakes for power braking at drag track. ( I will probably never do!) Switch 2 changing the exhaust to striaght pipe. NOW. The problem is, idle; when I start my car it will idle at 800rpm then shut off, I usually just give it a little throttle for about 15secs. Other wise I will have to keep starting it for about 5 mins. Im not sure how to this problem besides adjusting the idle itself.

hmac300

March, 26, 2010 AT 5:34 PM

Try cleaning the throttle plate, they get gunked up from oil and junk. Clean both sides of the plate and around the IAC hole, it's kind of oblong. Then road test it and see what happens. It may be idling a little to low as well. See if you can find the specs to which it's supposed to idle at.

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang