CLUNKING NOISE

Pontiac Grand Prix

Btighe84

March, 19, 2007 AT 11:14 PM

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT that has recently started making a clunking noise in the front end. It happens when I hit bumps a certain way, and more when I make left hand turns. What could be the cause of this problem, and is it in need of immediate repair?

mmprince3000

March, 28, 2007 AT 10:21 AM

Check the rubber boots that cover the CV joints (inner and outer). If they are torn or ripped, then the grease will leak out causing water and debris to get into the CV joint resulting in metal to metal contact, more noticeable when turning.
Eventually it will get very loud and possibly lock or break.
The dealer or mechanic can install a new boot, but honestly, I have found it better to replace the axle with a reman'd unit.

mcferrance

March, 30, 2007 AT 12:10 PM

My 2000 Grand Prix has a noise in the LF when the suspension travels more than usual such as in a pothole on a dirt road and moving slow. I checked the suspension last night and I found that the front bushing on the control arm is worn causing it to rub the mounting bracket.
I have found the bushings at NAPA for $18 each.

Check this out on your car and keep us posted.

mcferrance

April, 27, 2011 AT 3:57 PM

The front control arm bushing on a 2000 Grand Prix needs to be aligned a particular way when installed due to it's design. GM states this in their manual for this car but doesn't make it very clear in their description and picture. Do you know what the correct installation alignment is?

Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic