BATTERY NOT STAYING CHARGED, NEW BAT. AND ALT.

Pontiac Grand Prix

pontiac_girl

October, 7, 2006 AT 12:14 AM

: The battery for some reason isn't staying chraged! Battery and alternator are both new! I need to know the possible problems, not how to test it! Please help! It's a 1991 Pontiac, Grand Prix Se current mileage is approx. 165000 kms

PontiacDan

October, 11, 2006 AT 9:07 PM

Although your problem is most likely a short somewhere (very hard to find. Or give advice on), it may be possible that you suffer from the same problem that I had years ago on my old Pontiac Lemans. I was driving home one night with no indication on the dash that anything was wrong. When I stopped for gas, I had to boost the car to restart. I got home, tightened the alternator belt and had no further problems. The alternator must have been turning but not enough to run the car and charge the battery and there was no squealing sound from th belt slipping to warn me.
I recommend you check the tension on your serpentine belt. You may have a weak tension pulley.

pj(GTO)

October, 13, 2006 AT 11:37 PM

I've had the same problem, on my car and replaced both items also, It turned out to be a bad connection with the battery termanals, they build up a corrosion film, you need to take off the connectors and use a wire brush or sandpaper on the battery connectors themselves.
When they are coroded it will have green/blackish film on them.
Try that, I would be surprised if that did not work.

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Alternator testing done right