2005 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX HEATER PROBLEMS

• valente
  • 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix

Heater problem
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix

hi, I have a problem with my prix, my heater did not quit working it just takes to long to get hot. The other thing ive notice is that my cooling, the antifreeze keeps getting low. Could that be the heater core. Thank you

Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009 AT 7:44 PM

• mmprince4000

Heater core or thermostat.

With engine at temp. Put glove on and quickly touch both the heater hoses, if one is hot and one is warm/cool, the heater core is blocked. If both are cool, then thermostat is defective.

Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 AT 6:38 AM
  • valente

Thank you, will do that.I will let you know the results

Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 AT 9:33 PM
  • valente

Ok so I went out and did what you suggested and I guess my heater core is bad. One hose is hotter than the other. Does that mean that they both have to be at the same temperture when the heater core is good. Thanks again for all the help

Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 5:27 PM
  • mmprince4000

They should both be the same temp if heater motor is off, the return would be a little cooler if heater is blowing, but still very warm.

Thermostat can also cause this.

As far as the coolant leaking, perform a compression test to rule out headgasket, if OK, then do a pressure test on cooling system.

Coolant loss without a visable leak is not a good sign.

Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 AT 5:24 AM
  • valente

Thank you, I im going to take it and have I tested and I hope is nothing bad or I think im going to trade it in. Thanks again

Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 AT 7:02 AM
  • mmprince4000

Let us know what happens.

Thursday, September 10th, 2009 AT 8:15 AM
  • valente

Well I took it and they did a compression test and a pressure test on cooling system, and they could not find nothing wrong. Could it be that the waterpump is leaking or a hose from the radiator. Im going to replace the thermostat and I hope that fixes the problem. If not I allready asked about the heatercore and its only 41bucks. So thats not to expensive.I got another little problem that just came up. But thats for another day. Thank you and I will let you know how it went

Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 8:06 PM
  • mmprince4000

Start with thermostat, if problem persists, you may need a new waterpump.

Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 9:06 PM
  • valente

I will start with the thermostat and will let you know how its going. Thank you

Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 7:12 AM
  • valente

Ok, so I took the car and had the radiator flushed.I replaced the thermostat, and the guys told me to wait for a couple of days to see if there is a difference. So im going to wait for a couple of days.

One more question if I can, my head up display on my prix it stopped working.I cant find my manual so I dont know where the fuse might be. Or could it be something else. Thank you guys and have a good day

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 AT 7:14 AM