2001 Pontiac Grand Prix head gasket repair

TRENLI
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
Engine Cooling problem
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I am trying to change the head gasket on my 2001 pontiac grandprix and are having trouble removing the mounting bracket that is on the left side of the motor. I have removed all of the bolts but I cannot lift the mounting bracket enough off of the head bolt to move the bracket out of the way. Not sure what else to do. Because I need to move that mounting bracket out of the way in order to get to and change the head gasket!
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 3:52 PM

WRENCHTECH
What engine do you have and what bracket are you referring to.
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 4:33 PM
TRENLI
A 3.1 liter engine
I'm not exactly sure which type of motor mount bracket it is but its a c type bracket that sits over the intake manifold
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 4:45 PM
WRENCHTECH
There aren't any head bolts in that area so I have no idea what your talking about.

A picture would help.
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 4:47 PM
TRENLI

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/572126_downsized_0912001500a_3.jpg

the c type bracket wraps around the exhaust manifold and the bracket extends down. it is on the #5 headbolt accordning to the sequence from the hanes book.
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 5:16 PM
WRENCHTECH
That bolt has to be removed.
It's either a Torx or an Allen socket.
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 5:18 PM
TRENLI
That bolt is the head bolt and I cant get to it without removing the bracket 1st.I cant take off the heat shield or the exhaust manifold either. The bracket sits on that bolt but when I go to pull up on the bracket it comes up but because it goes aroung the manifold it hits it. Preventing me from taking it off the #5 head bolt. Am going to send a few more pics. Maybe that will help. The 1st 1 is of the bracket pulled up not wont come off the #5 head bolt, the 2nd 1 is of the what the bolt looks like under the bracket, and the 3rd is of where I took off 1 of the bolts to the bracket.
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 5:55 PM
WORM7986
There are three bolts holding that bracket in place. One is right where you can see it the other two are on the A/C compressor. Remove them two bolts in A/C compressor along with motor mount bracket bolt and it will come free:D
Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 4:44 PM
WRENCHTECH
Sept 2010. I think he has it resolved by now
Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 5:07 PM