VACUUM LEAK NOISE AT BRAKE PEDAL

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

resqr9142

July, 30, 2008 AT 9:52 AM

Noises problem
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 76,000 miles

2000 Grand Prix, 76,000. Just purchased this car. It has started making a vacuum leak noise while the engine is running. It is coming from the rubber boot where the brake rod goes through the fire wall. When I press the brake, the noise changes pitch and I also feel a " click" in the gear shifter handle when in Park and the engine is idling. Does this need to be repaired and is it shade-tree mechanic repairable?

merlin2021

July, 30, 2008 AT 4:16 PM

Open the hood locate the power brake booster on the drivers side firewall, pull the vacuum hose off, at the end is the check valve, remove it and try sucking thru both ends, you should only be able to in one direction. If thats OK put it back together, go in the car and pump the brake, all air should be out, and the pedal hard, hold the pedal down and start the car, if the pedal sinks a bit, eveything is normal, if the pedal does not move, the booster should be replaced.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front