2000 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX CAR PROBS BIGTIME

• fancy
  • 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Engine Size unknown Four Wheel Drive n/a miles

ok our car was leaking antifreeze and hubby bought this gasket kit to replace broken one but once put back to gether hearing a ticking sound and still leaking antifreeze as well as now emmissions light clicks on the dash which I have no idea why, we were looking on the net for torque sequence and cannot find for our car, do you have any suggestions as to what might be going on I am not even car literate so to speak

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 5:31 PM

• mastertechtim

Did he replace the intake gaskets? Did he know that there are 2 different size push rods? Where is the coolant leaking from?

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 5:33 PM
  • fancy

Yes he replaced intake but he says its the rocker arm ticking and no more antifreeze leakage

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 5:38 PM
  • mastertechtim

What about the push rods? Most common mistake is not putting push rods back in the right place causing the rocker arms to be loose. Ask him if he is sure they are in the right place. Just trying to help

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 5:47 PM
  • fancy

Just loosened rocker just enough to get rod out and then replace gasket and put rockers back in

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 5:49 PM
  • mastertechtim

You had to have all the push rods out at the same time and they are 2 different lengths. YOU MUST HAVE A PUSH ROD INCORRECTLY INSTALLED. Double check and after that triple check. That is the only possible reason for your dilemna

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 6:00 PM
  • fancy

Ok he says he did that and the car sounded good for about 15 minutes later the ticking was there and ty for helping if I forgot to use manners.

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 6:06 PM
  • mastertechtim

Ok heres what happened to me one time(i have done this job a hundred times) a nut fell into the intake while I was doing the job and I did not realize until I drove it. The nut got into the engine and blew a hole in the piston and I had to replace the engine. You can start by running engine and disconnect plug wires one a time until you find the problem cylinder and recheck that rocker. The problem cylinder when removing the wire will not change how the engine runs. Good luck

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 6:21 PM
  • fancy

Just pulled valve cover off fire wall side.
First rocker on driver's side back of motor
was loose.
I could move it side to side & up and down, retighten
the rocker nut the noise should go away.

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 6:30 PM
  • mastertechtim

Yes tighten all rocker arms equally. What probably happened is the rocker wasnt seated properly at first. Hopefully youll be all set.

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 6:35 PM
  • fancy

Did that car is running good going to take it for a test drive to make sure thankyou ever so much for all your help greatly appreciated

Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 7:17 PM