1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission Leaking

FATBOY58
  • 1998 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
I have notice that my transmission level has been dropping and I have not exterior signs of any leaks. 3 months ago I added a pint to bring the level up but today I had to add another pint. So can anyone tell me where this can be leaking and approx how much this will cost to repair?
Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 11:53 AM

JACK42
You may want to get under it and take a look for a leak. It has to go somewhere. Also look in the radiator or coolant resevoir for any signs of oil. Sometimes thetrans cooler (Built into the radiator) leak into the cooling system. That vehicle is new enough it shouldnt have a vacuum modulator on the trans that could be doing it.
Sunday, January 31st, 2010 AT 7:54 AM
FATBOY58
Now figure out if I can replace the radiator or what? I am guessing that the transmission has more pressure and not allowing coolent to enter transmisson?
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 7:34 AM
JACK42
Yes. A radiator shop can replace just the trans cooler if it is indeed the problem
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 8:27 AM
FATBOY58
Is the Trans cooler seperate from the radiator or built in? Can I just replace the radiator?
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 11:45 AM
JACK42
Its built into the radiator, in the side tank. Yes, you could just replace the entire radiator.
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 3:13 PM