1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX ACCELERATION AND SHUT DOWN PROBLEMS

• vicsgirl
  • 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 132993 miles

I just bought this car not even a month ago so will not know a whole lot about it. It ran pretty good but it would kinda stall sometimes like it wasn't getting any gas. It would sit a while and start with little effort and drive fine. 2 days ago I was driving and it just kind of gave out like it was tired or someting, wouldn't get any gas, it kinda putt putted a little then cut off and wouldn't start. The more I tried to start it my battery started to drain. I had a car that did this and I replaced the fuel pump and it that fixed that car. Everyone one that I am consulting is telling me that the fuel pump malfunction would not drain the battery. I don't know. Help!

Saturday, March 1st, 2008 AT 1:06 PM

• mmprince4000

Have the fuel pressure tested with a mechanical gauge. If a fuel pump relay is suspect, most cars have a test line in the ALDL where there is a direct (12V) connection to the fuel pump that bypasses the relay.
The battery is being drained by the starter which takes a lot of current to turn.

Tuesday, March 4th, 2008 AT 7:11 AM