A/C CLUTCH FUSE BLOWS

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

archemedes

June, 3, 2010 AT 6:41 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

Lost A/C while driving, diagnosed as blown clutch fuse, replace fuse, clutch engages, but turns slowly, then fuse pops. I am trying to figure out if on the grand prix clutch can it be bad, or is that the compressor locking up?

saturntech9

June, 3, 2010 AT 7:02 PM

First of all thank you so much for the donation. See if the center of the clutch moves freely?With the year and mileage of your car your probably better off changing the a/c compressor and clutch all together. Let me know what you find.

archemedes

June, 3, 2010 AT 7:10 PM

I can spin it by hand, but feels pretty tight, I figured that was the diagnosis, but didn't want to spend $500 if it just needed a $20 bearing

saturntech9

June, 3, 2010 AT 7:14 PM

What model grand prix and engine size do you have?Let me know.

archemedes

June, 3, 2010 AT 7:21 PM

It's a GTP with the 3.8 s/c engine

saturntech9

June, 3, 2010 AT 7:41 PM

I found a complete compressor for 177.00 plus 9.00 core plus shipping at www. Rockauto. Com. If you have anymore questions let me know. Thanks again for the donation and thank you for using 2carpros.

archemedes

June, 4, 2010 AT 4:43 PM

Went back out today, and tried a different angle of attack, compressor turns by hand same as one on in laws 01 buick that works fine. With engine running it is not blowing the fuse now, but clutch spins fast about 1 to 1.5 revolutions then stalls for a second, but not as if disengaging, looks like sticking. I spoke to a dealer tech, and he said he's never replaced one of this type for failure except for leakage.

saturntech9

June, 4, 2010 AT 5:20 PM

If your saying the clutch is bad and the compressor is good then just replace the clutch if the compressor spins freely your ok. Especially if the dealer says the compressor's don't fail often.I would replace the whole clutch though not just the bearing. Let me know if you have any more question's.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour