1995 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX OIL LEAK

• Anton74
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic >100K miles

I have a 95 Pontiac GP. Since I experienced the steady coolant loss, I replaced the intake manifold gaskets by myself (Victor Reinz intake gasket kit). Later, about 4 months after the repair, I noticed the oil leak. The oil appeared (after driving) on transmission and starter, eventually dripping to the ground. I diagnosed it as an oil drive shaft leak (please see my previous post), and, since I did not replace the o-ring on that shaft, I decided to replace it now. So, today I pulled the shaft, changed the o-ring and added the high-temperature RTV seal hoping that it will solve my problem. However, the engine continues to leak oil. It is obvious that the leak is from the S-shaped area of the LIM when I applied the sealant and the intake job should be redone. May I continue to drive the car, adding the oil from time to time, or should I repair it immediately? I have heard about the cars leaking a quart of oil a day, and people keep on running them by adding the oil everyday. Also, if I will try to repeat the repairs, is it possible to use the current gaskets?

Thank you,
Anton.

Friday, December 25th, 2009 AT 12:20 PM

• Mmprince4000

If a small leak and you are adding oil, say once a week, then it is OK to drive, just make sure the oil level is NEVER below more than 1 quart.

Having said that, if oil leak is near exhaust manifold or exhaust system, then repair ASAP.
Oil near the exhaust system can ignite and cause a fire.
Also oil leaks can get into electrical connectors and cause many problems.

I would replace gaskets.

Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 7:05 AM