2004 PONTIAC GRAND AM CLICKING/RATTLE NOISE OVER ROUGH ROAD

• donald9251
  • 2004 Pontiac Grand Am

Noises problem
2004 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 56000 miles

The front, right side of my car makes a series of rapidly clicking/rattling noise when driving over rough road or turning right over bumpy surface. Thought it was the CV joint or the wheel bearing, so I replaced (with help from my mechanic friend) the front, right CV driveaxle and hub and bearing assembly. But the series of rapidly clicking/rattling noise is still there. My mechanic friend inspected the suspension, and said it's all good. I know it can't be the strut because the clicking/rattling noise is made in rapid series, not just one or two clicks, especially when turning right over bumpy surface. Any suggestions what the problem might be? (This is a hard question by the way because my mechanic friend is stumped)

Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 9:28 PM

• merlin2021

If it's not sway bar stabilizer links, check the inner tie rod ends.

Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 2:12 AM
  • donald9251

My mechanic friend checked the stabilizer links, tie-rods and tie-rod ends; he said they're all fine. Any other suggestions?

Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 11:47 PM
  • merlin2021

Go to an alignment shop. Check motor and tranny mounts, Tough to diagnose what a mechanic can't find!

Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 2:27 AM
  • donald9251

I took my car to a transmission repair shop (Quality Transmission). A transmission rebuild specialist personally test-drove and inspected the car, but could not determine what was causing the clicking/rattling noise; he was just as stumped as my mechanic friend. Seems like I'll just have to live with the annoying noise as my car runs fine otherwise. Thanks for you help though.

Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 4:05 PM
  • merlin2021

The last possibility is hub caps, if you have em, try taking them off and going for a test drive.

Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 4:08 PM
  • donald9251

I took off the hub caps and drove the car, but the noise is still there. Again, thanks for your help.

Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 6:39 PM
  • merlin2021

If you find out what it is keep me posted!

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 3:47 PM
  • donald9251

For your info, finally found out what was causing the rattle/clicking noise. Front, right strut mount bearing was bad. The noise went away when the strut mount was replaced. The strut under the strut mount is still good though.

Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 5:56 PM
  • merlin2021

If I coulda had a ride.

Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 8:37 PM