2.2 TIMING CHAIN BROKE AT 88,000 MILES

2002 Pontiac Grand Am

rweber

December, 4, 2006 AT 3:52 PM

My timing chain broke last week after I dropped my son off at school. I pulled out of the school and went about a block and I heard a noise underneath my hood and my car stopped. I was in a school zone going about 15-20 mph and I had to have it towed. I was informed that my timing chain broke and damaged the valves and head and cylinder. I was told that I needed a new engine. I had three mechanics with 30 years each experience and the dealer diagnose my car and they all told me that the timing chain should not have broken. There was no sludge or anything. I do change my oil regularly. I guess my question is.I was told to see if the manufacturer would pay for it being that this was so unusual and I have maintenanced my car regularly. Is this a possibilty, because I don't have the funds myself to get my car that is not even paid off fixed. Thank you very much for your time.

Canvis69@yahoo.com

December, 5, 2006 AT 8:23 PM

If gm won't cover it see if there is a warranty on the chain itself. It may even be GM's. As chains shouldn't break that fast, the chain would be a warranty case. It might take some real work but most manufactures have hidden warranties too. At least, thats what I'd try.

rweber

December, 5, 2006 AT 9:26 PM

Thank you

Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Air Filter Replacement