Ignition switch replacement

JEREMIAH1987
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
How do I take out and replace ignition lock switch
Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 AT 3:58 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Here are the instructions on how to change out the ignition switch I would get the new one from the dealer be sure to bring the VIN number so they can program it for you before you install it. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+1
Sunday, May 23rd, 2010 AT 12:55 PM
BILLMIK
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT1, with currently 115,000 miles on it. I realy have never had too much trouble with this car until recently. When I tunr the key to the run position everything lights up and I can hear the fuel pump run, but when I turn the key to the start position, nothing. It tends to do this more in the mornings after the car has sat overnight. If I sit there and turn the key over and over usually it will fire eventually. SOmetimes it takes 2 turns sometimes it takes 15 minutes of turning the key. I replaced the ignition switch with little to no improvment. Any help or advice on this probelm would be greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, July 31st, 2019 AT 4:50 PM (Merged)
CANVIS69@YAHOO.COM
Make shure the security light isn't on. That means it isn't reading the chip in the key. If it's off and the key simply doesn't work I'd check that the starter is firmly connected and that any fusses/ starter relays are ok. Also since it happens when it's cold get the battery and the whole system checked.I think autozone has a handheld that they will do it with for free.I think
BILLMIK
The security light in the dash is on. This happened about 3 years ago. The car wouldn't start one morning so I followed the manual to bypass the security. Does that mean I need to replace the lock cylinder? The battery is only 6 months old. I tried changing the fuse. I did notice this morning when I finally got the car to start, I was able to move the key a little bit in the lock cylinder, and if I pulled it backward it would try to kill the engine. Is it worth taking it back to the dealer?
CANVIS69@YAHOO.COM
Make shure the security is still bypassed. With that info it sounds like the alarm is blocking the voltage to the starter.
BILLMIK
In respsonse to the ignition problem I posted on here several months ago, I finally have the solution. I gave up swallowed my pride and took the car back to the dealer. Turns out it was a solenoid going bad in the starter the whole time. Had them go ahead and replace the starter and haven't ha the problem since. Hope this helps anyone else experienceing this problem so they don't waste a bunch fo time and money throwing parts at the problem like I did. I greatly appreciated the help given on this site.
MILISSSA1
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND AM
My 1997 pontiac grand am and the ignition went out so I went down to my local car graveyard where all the cars are dumped pick npull and found me a 1997 pontiac grand am with the key in the ignition so I got it brought it home put it in my car and now my car starts but wont stay started ive tryed a couple of times hopefully I didnt mess it up by trying to keep it started but im not sure if its the ignition switch or the comp not letting me start it help
Check the coil if it has power when it dies out-if not there -double check the ignition switch
MILISSSA1
Well im not sure if its the coil ill check just wanted to give more info the theft system light flashes and then stays lit after it dies im actually not even using the ignition part im just using a screwdriver is that it should I try to hook up the ignition and then start it
WILLIAM8213
  • 1998 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Put new switch in car will not start
Are you saying there is no starter action? Have you done any testing? I'm not sure what switch you replaced or why?
Wednesday, July 31st, 2019 AT 4:51 PM (Merged)
MULEDEER1960
  • 1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I need to know the steps required to replace the lock cylinder. The key has been giving me trouble since I purchased the car in 02, now it quit completely. Removed the electrical switch from the back of the cylinder and car will start with screw driver, but stalls, anti theft device kicks in, need to replace cylinder, but not sure where to start. Thanks for any info
MERLIN2021
IGNITION SWITCH Removal & Installation Disable air bag system.

Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove steering wheel.
.Remove upper and lower column covers. Place shift lever in Park. Turn lock cylinder to OFF-LOCK position. Disconnect ignition switch electrical connector. Remove ignition switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Locka_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Lockb_1.jpg

+1
MULEDEER1960
So what is the correct way to turn off this system? I, m just a farmer with spare time, no airbags on tractors, lol
MERLIN2021
Just remove the negative(-) battery cable, and wait 2-3 minutes.
-1
LEM1223
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I have the switch removed from the dash and electrical connectors removed but cant get the interlock cable to release from the rear of the switch? The manual says to push the release tab and the cable will release when this is done the cable slides out about an 1/8 inch but seems as if something else is holding it? I should add the reason for replacement is the key would no longer turn from the off position.
You do not have to remove instrument panel cluster. Remove center bevel cover and remove radio ( 4 9/32 bolts), pop cover off ignition switch with small screwdriver and unbolt two 10 mm bolt from switch and push it back and out towards the radio opening, release lock cable from back of switch with small screwdriver, release both elect connectors and pull through radio opening.
-1
LEM1223
We have done all of that, but the cable will not release when the tab is pressed.
+1
You have to keep fiddling with it to make it work then if you have ahose removal tool looks like a bent screwdriver only with a point use that to push in tab. Some of these aren't reasy.
FOXFIRES31
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Ok, I had a bad ignition switch so I replaced it. The problem is now the security (stock) kicked in and the car won't start. The reason I had to put a new one in is because the key would not turn anymore. I have been putting grafite powder in it for the last few months and it wont turn at all so I replaced it. I turned the new switch, the radio and all light came on then tried to crank the car and it just turns over but won't start and is blinking security. How do you reset this or work around for it. Thanks for any help on this.