GT IGNITION PROBLEM

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

BillMik

December, 7, 2006 AT 6:58 AM

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT1, with currently 115,000 miles on it. I realy have never had too much trouble with this car until recently. When I tunr the key to the run position everything lights up and I can hear the fuel pump run, but when I turn the key to the start position, nothing. It tends to do this more in the mornings after the car has sat overnight. If I sit there and turn the key over and over usually it will fire eventually. SOmetimes it takes 2 turns sometimes it takes 15 minutes of turning the key. I replaced the ignition switch with little to no improvment. Any help or advice on this probelm would be greatly appreciated.

Canvis69@yahoo.com

December, 8, 2006 AT 12:16 AM

Make shure the security light isn't on. That means it isn't reading the chip in the key. If it's off and the key simply doesn't work I'd check that the starter is firmly connected and that any fusses/ starter relays are ok. Also since it happens when it's cold get the battery and the whole system checked.I think autozone has a handheld that they will do it with for free.I think

BillMik

December, 8, 2006 AT 5:57 AM

The security light in the dash is on. This happened about 3 years ago. The car wouldn't start one morning so I followed the manual to bypass the security. Does that mean I need to replace the lock cylinder? The battery is only 6 months old. I tried changing the fuse. I did notice this morning when I finally got the car to start, I was able to move the key a little bit in the lock cylinder, and if I pulled it backward it would try to kill the engine. Is it worth taking it back to the dealer?

Canvis69@yahoo.com

December, 9, 2006 AT 11:11 PM

Make shure the security is still bypassed. With that info it sounds like the alarm is blocking the voltage to the starter.

BillMik

March, 14, 2007 AT 7:21 AM

In respsonse to the ignition problem I posted on here several months ago, I finally have the solution. I gave up swallowed my pride and took the car back to the dealer. Turns out it was a solenoid going bad in the starter the whole time. Had them go ahead and replace the starter and haven't ha the problem since. Hope this helps anyone else experienceing this problem so they don't waste a bunch fo time and money throwing parts at the problem like I did. I greatly appreciated the help given on this site.

Replace Ignition Switch
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006