1998 PONTIAC GRAND AM WILL NOT START

• tcp2564
  • 1998 Pontiac Grand Am

1998 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 117000 miles

My wife was pulling out of a gas station and the car died on her. I met her out there and turned the key and there was on click and the engine did not even try to turn over I still have radio and lights when I turn the key. I know nothing about cars any advice would be much appriciated.

Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 8:44 AM

• JDL

Hello, the battery has a full charge, cables ok? If the starter won't even crank, did you try cranking in neutral? With the key in the crank position, can you tell if there is a load on the starter? One way might be to watch your dome lite when you crank it, if the lite stays bright, you may have an open circuit. The purple wire at the starter solenoid should be hot with the key in the crank position.

Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 8:56 AM
  • hauntedautumn

However the dome light does dim when cranking, and radio and dash lights are very weak. But I have tried two batteries with full charges. Any more ideas?

Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 5:49 AM
  • JDL

Are you sure the cables are ok? Do some testing at the starter solenoid.

Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 8:57 AM
  • grandam01

I had the same problema nd I found out that the passlocks on these cars are faulty, so the nexttime this happens you can sit with your car in the on position for 10 minutes to reset your anti-theft system and then try to start your car again, so far this has helped me so hopefully it'll help you.

Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 12:10 PM