1997 PONTIAC GRAND AM INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

• awoodson
  • 1997 Pontiac Grand Am

1997 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

I have a 1997 Grand Am, I got in the other day and got about half way down my driveway and realized that my gauges weren't working (no speedometer, gas, etc.). All the gauges don't move off of zero. In addition every warning light in the instrument cluster is on. I have checked the fuses and they are all fine. What is wrong with my car?

Andy

Wednesday, June 18th, 2008 AT 11:15 AM

• rhall77

Sounds like a possible bad cluster or bad ingnition switch. I would have the vehicle scanned to see if there is any trouble codes.

Wednesday, June 18th, 2008 AT 11:36 AM
  • awoodson

Could it be a bad body control module?

Wednesday, June 18th, 2008 AT 12:49 PM
  • rhall77

Im about 90% sure that does not have a body control module, but I could be wrong. I would still have it scanned.

Wednesday, June 18th, 2008 AT 1:45 PM
  • awoodson

OK. I'll do that, hopefully thats what it is as my fiance is driving my car right now and to be honest with you that worries me more than driving her's without a speedometer.

Wednesday, June 18th, 2008 AT 2:16 PM
  • awoodson

OK, now I have a whole new problem. I replaced the dash, that appears to have solved that problem as now the tach works when you go to start the car, the new problem is that the theft system is engaged and stalls the car after you turn it over and it starts for a second or two. How can I disengage this? I have tried disconnecting the battery and pulling the fuses for the ignition system. I have also allowed the vehicle to sit overnight thinking that it might have to reset itself, this didn't work either.

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 5:50 AM
  • BMRFIXIT

Try to start and then leave ignition key on until security light off
you have to leave the ignition in the ON position it may take 10 or so min
make sure you have a fully charged battery

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 6:10 AM
  • awoodson

Ok, I'll try that. I tried it last night and let it sit for 5 minutes or so and the light didn't stop blinking. Does it normally take 10 minutes?

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 7:49 AM
  • awoodson

The car is now running and the dash works. The theft system light is on though, should it be? Will it possibly go off after some time?

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 8:42 AM
  • bconry06

Where did you get a new cluster from because I can't find anything anywhere? How much did the new cluster cost?

Sunday, July 19th, 2009 AT 9:33 PM