1997 Pontiac Grand Am Changing the thermostat

SSTERP2000
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

My thermostat is leaking coolant. I want to change it myself. I know where the thermostat is located and know that I should only remove one bolt and just loosen the other. However, there is a metal line (not sure what it is) that appears to be firmly in place that runs from the housing. My question is: Should I remove this line? If so, how?

Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 1:36 PM

DOCFIXIT

Need to remove pipe from lower block see diagram

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_578.jpg

Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 1:47 PM
GMHOST_1
  • 1994 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

I am trying to replace the thermostat on my 1994 Pontiac Grand Am 2.3 liter quad overhead camwith 129,000 miles. I cannot find it. Wher is it?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:33 AM
LADYLAYC
  • 2004 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

Replaced thermostat and reassembled. Drove maybe 2 miles and car wouldnt heat up fully so left it running for about 10 minutes in park and it began overheating so I shut it off got out and all the antifreeze just added had leaked out, had it looked at again and whatever was done stop the leaking but now it was sputtering and getting hot to the third quarter line and felt as if wanted to die while it stayed idling at the 2 mark. Serbice engine light came back on so had it re diagnosed this time showing thermostat o2 sensor and random misfire, had it taken apart and thermostat checked fixed gasket that had been broken during the initial thermostat replacement and replace vacuum hose, reassembled and sounds normal but now is running hot and leaking fluids under the antifreeze container, person working on it says its the water pump but it was not doing this initially before it was services the first time, does this sound right? How did the water pump fail all of a sudden?

-1
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
  • MERGED

Have a pro pressure check the coolant system it may be an intake or head gasket leak

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
GALOWSKID
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

Where is the thermostat on a 95 pontiac grand am 2.3 and how do we get to it are there things we need to take off first?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
  • MERGED

REMOVAL

Negative battery cable.
Drain and recover the coolant.
Air clearer assembly.
Surge tank line from coolant outlet.
Coolant outlet to inlet manifold attaching bolts.
Coolant outlet.
Thermostat.
Clean

Inlet manifold mating surfaces.
Coolant outlet mating surfaces.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
GALOWSKID
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

I have a 1995 Pontiac SE 2.3 L Grand AM, and I am replacing the thermostat in it. Please tell me what all I have to do to get at the thermostat? What is the easliest way? Thank you!

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
  • MERGED

Here is a picture and instructions, 2 pictures. Hopefully it shows up if not let me know.

-1
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
GALOWSKID
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

I have a 1995 Pontiac SE 2.3 L Grand AM, and I am replacing the thermostat in it. Please tell me what all I have to do to get at the thermostat? Thank you!

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
DOCFIXIT
  • MERGED

A little tricky follow diagram

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
LILSOULJAHDANTE
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

1999 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Automatic

I am wanting to get help with replacing the thermostat for a 1999 pontiac grand am.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MERGED

REMOVAL:
Drain the cooling system.
Remove the air cleaner.
Remove exhaust crossover pipe.
Disconnect the surge tank line fitting from the coolant outlet.
Remove the thermostat housing to intake manifold bolts.
Remove the thermostat housing outlet and thermostat
Clean the mating surfaces.

INSTALLATION:
Install the thermostat and housing outlet.
Install the thermostat housing bolts. Tighten the thermostat housing bolts to 18 ft. Lbs. (25 Nm).
Install exhaust crossover pipe.
Connect the surge tank line fitting to the coolant outlet. Tighten the fittings to 15 ft. Lbs. (21 Nm).
Install the air cleaner.
Fill the cooling system.
Inspect the system for leaks.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
RTITLOW
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 225000 miles

how do I locate and change the thermostat

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
GRANDAM1
  • MERGED

You would prob have to take off the water pump to change it, but your water pump has like a metal hose running from it that runs underneath the oil pan, but it is an metal hose that meets up with your water pump the thermastat is between water pump and the hose. For more info LMK.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:34 AM
RMC1934
  • 2004 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

Air Conditioning problem
2004 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

What is the procedure to installing a new thermostat?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:35 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MERGED

REMOVAL:

Drain the cooling system
Remove the air cleaner
Remove the exhaust crossover pipe
Disconnect the surge tank line fitting from the coolant outlet
Remove the thermostat housing to intake manifold bolts
Remove the thermostat housing outlet and thermostat.

INSTALLATION:

Install the thermostat and housing outlet
Install the thermostat housing bolts and tighten to 18 Ft. Lbs. (25 Nm)
Install the exhaust crossover pipe
Connect the surge tank line fitting to the coolant outlet and tighten fittings to 15 Ft. Lbs. (21 Nm)
Install the air cleaner
Fill the cooling system
Inspect the system for leaks.

+2
Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:35 AM
ALISSAJEAN
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

Other Category problem
2001 Pontiac Grand Am V6 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 121000 miles

2 days before I was going to get an inspection sticker, my Service Engine light came on and dashboard Temperature Gauge stopped registering any temperature. Had diagnostics run and they determined it was either low coolant level or temp sensor. Filled coolant and changed sensor. Temp gauge was fine for 4 days, then the gauge on the dash stopped working again. Checked coolant level - OK. Car is idling high (900-1200 RPM's when it should be around 700) and driving rough at times just as it was before changing the temp sensor.

Should I replace the thermostat and/or the temperature sensor again (possible defective sensor?) Or is this something else that I'm not thinking of?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:36 AM
JACK42
  • MERGED

Have you ever noticed any leaks? Wondering where the original coolant went. Usually if the engine idles high and the gauge isnt reading I would say it had an air pocket or was just low. It could be a bad sensor, but what concerns me is the rough running and lack of coolant. Have the cooling system chemical tested for blown head gasket, if ok replace thermostat and try another sensor

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:36 AM
ALISSAJEAN
  • MERGED

I know there's a slow leak but I used to just add coolant when the low coolant light came on (every 3 months or so) or when I thought of it but the low coolant light never came on this time. I've had a slew of weird occurrences with this vehicle, especially of late. Yesterday morning (cold cold morning) it would not turn over unless I laid on the throttle until it warmed up a bit. If I let off, it would stall but once running for 60 seconds or so, it was fine, just idling high & running a bit rough.

I'm going to try having the coolant system pressure tested and flushed and I'll have them test for blown head gasket before the pressure test (please no!). Anything expensive and I'm going to have to send her to the old junkyard.

I remember reading somewhere that the oil would look "off" if there was a blown head gasket. My oil was changed 2000 miles ago and it looks clear and just slightly darker than new and is completely to the "full" line. So this would seem that blown head gasket is probably unlikely - probably has something with the coolant system itself, right?

Thank you for your help! I do appreciate it!

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:36 AM
VICKY_1989
  • 1989 PONTIAC GRAND AM
  • MERGED

Engine Cooling problem
1989 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

changed thermostat in car, did not know at the time that the fan or coolant themp censor had went out. ALSO did not know that person who changed thermostat had drained out anti-freeze and replaced with water. HELP

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 10:36 AM